Tired of making New Year’s resolutions that feel like huge life changes to only quit after a few days? Marion Smile Center has compiled a list of simple and easy ideas for you to choose from which will get you a healthier smile.
Over time, small changes can make a BIG difference. The key is to choose ONE thing to add to your day and do it at the same time every day to make it a habit. After a few weeks, your new habit will become part of your daily routine and you’ll be healthier! Start small and once you accomplish one goal; you’ll be more motivated and have the confidence to tackle even more!
Remember, these are not all-or-nothing resolutions. A little progress each day is better than no progress at all and can really add up in the end. These are great resolutions to start any day, and some are easy enough that if you accidentally skip a day, you can jump right back on track the next day.
- Brush at least 2 minutes twice a day. Brush before breakfast to help protect teeth enamel and to remove bacteria and plaque that builds up overnight. Brush directly before bed to remove food particles, bacteria, and plaque and to help reduce the effects of dry mouth.
- Brush your tongue for 15 seconds or use a tongue scraper. Cleaning your tongue helps remove bacteria that cause bad breath, improve the overall health of your mouth, and help your taste buds become more exposed to enjoy a richer taste with foods you love.
- Replace your toothbrush or toothbrush head every 3 months, or directly after being sick.
- Want to upgrade to get the best clean possible? OralB has recently released a new electric toothbrush with the most advanced technology on the market. The OralBiO has combined its oscillating round brush head with micro-vibrations to help break down plaque and bacteria better than before. To learn more about the iO series, click here or ask our hygienists at your next professional cleaning!
- Floss at least once a day before brushing to remove plaque, bacteria, and food debris. Create a tight ‘C’ shape to hug each tooth when moving the floss up and down, BELOW the gumline.
- Sensitive, bleeding gums? Don’t quit – KEEP FLOSSING! If you are new to flossing and your gums bleed, that means harmful bacteria is hiding below the gumline. Bacteria leads to plaque buildup, which can lead to gum disease if it is not removed. Give your new flossing routine about 2 weeks for your gums to toughen up.
- Drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces keeps your body hydrated and your mouth comfortable and healthy. Water helps saliva production and fight dry mouth.
- Drinking water after meals and snacks helps wash away food particles and bacteria, which in turn, reduces your risk of cavities.
- Xylitol chewing gum stimulates saliva production, which helps clear away food, fight cavities, and dry mouth.
- It also helps reduce the levels of acid and maintain a natural pH level in your mouth.
- Have you been thinking about fixing those few teeth that overlap or are uneven? Here is your sign to DO IT NOW. Visit Dr. Marion for a consult to see how clear aligners can help give you a more confident smile! The weeks are going to pass no matter what, so you might as well be making the best of your time and start straightening your smile today!
- Straight teeth help make brushing and flossing easier, which helps reduce your risk of cavies and gives plaque fewer areas to hide.
- FREE WHITENING at Marion Smile Center! Did you know – when you’ve completed your clear aligners, Dr. Marion’s team will make your custom whitening trays and give you free whitening to help make your new, straight smile whiter and brighter?
To learn more about clear aligners, click here.
Be sure to get a professional cleaning at the very least, every 6 months to keep your oral health optimal and help prevent cavities and gum disease. There are many areas of your mouth that one cannot thoroughly clean at homecare alone. During your cleanings at Marion Smile Center, our highly educated hygienists will:
- Remove plaque and tarter
- Professionally polish and floss your teeth
- Measure your gum health
- Apply fluoride varnish to help strengthen tooth enamel, lessen sensitivity, and reduce the risk of cavities
- Offer an oral cancer screening with cutting-edge technology. To learn more about oral cancer screenings, click here.
- Take preventative pictures of your teeth to check for cavities and bone health.
To learn more about preventative dental care in Zelienople, click here.
Avoid Dental Problems?
Do you suffer from:
Make 2023 the year you stop putting off issues with your mouth and put YOU first! Keep in mind, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will become.
Healthy Smiles in Western PA
If you or someone you know has been in need of a caring dental team to assist in getting you back on track to a healthy smile, call Marion Smile Center at 724.452.4300 or click here to reserve a time.
If you’re looking for a teeth whitening dentist, a dentist who makes custom dental veneers, or even a pediatric dentist in Zelienople, Dr. Mark Marion can help you! Click here to view his Smile Gallery, where you can see how each patient’s life were forever changed with a new smile!